Monday, November 7, 2011

A Long Stretch on the Marathon Day

Last Sunday I went to Brooklyn Museum of Art. It was an arduous trip because I live east of 1st Avenue, which was blocked north of 59th Street for the massive NY Marathon and had many detours to negotiate. Moreover, since it was Sunday, the subway was running sparsely on detours and irregular schedule. Anticipating a long trip, I allowed enough time, and though it took two full hours door to door (which normally takes 50 minutes at the most), I got to the museum exactly at 1:00, when I was meeting a friend coming from Chelsea. I suspected that he, too, had a long trip as the usual trains, #2 and #3, to Brooklyn were not running. So, seeing that he hadn’t arrived yet, I phoned his mobile and left a message that I am waiting. By 1:20 I started to get a little restless; then, I saw the clock in the lobby, which said 12:20. Only then did I realize that the Daylight Saving Time ended at 12:00 a.m. Sunday. I was an hour early. So, that’s where my extra hour went, not for a Sunday slumber. Naturally, I was relieved that it was not the Fall change of time to Standard Time, not the Spring change, or I would have kept a friend waiting an hour. Maybe I should have planned to run the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment