Monday, January 2, 2012

Sexy Sex

I’m by no means a prude. But I dislike the word sexy. I don’t consider it dirty; I don’t consider it vulgar; I don’t even consider it crude or unseemly, when used in its proper context, as of a sexy behavior, meaning carnal, arousing, lustful. Sex is sexy, after all. I dislike it because in current overuse of the word it has become as pale as nice; it has become colorless applied practically to anything nice -- eyes, shoes, cars, clothing, design, prose, ideas, mountains, pebbles, you name it.

There are evocative words that the word sexy as an umbrella term came to subsume and take over, oh, so rudely. A body may be voluptuous, a posture erotic, a face alluring, words seductive; a picture may be sensual or, otherwise, only sensuous, a relationship amorous, a story titillating, a scent provocative, a touch enticing, a pursuit passionate. Sexy? Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment