Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Beautiful things

I love beautiful things.  Who doesn’t, you might say.  I mean I really love beautiful things, inensely and passionately; they touch my soul and elate my spirit.  I not only love beautiful things but delight in discovering beauty in all kinds of things which escapes the attention of most people who miss it by failing to be more mindful of what they see and hear and feel.  I love all beautiful things --  natural and artificial; bodily and mechanical; visual, audial and tactile; culinary, sartorial, and behavioral; concrete and abstract; material and spiritual.  Call them art or non-art, beautiful things are beautiful.  John Cage, whom I esteem, said in his characteristic Zen spirit: “If you listen to Beethoven, it’s always the same, but if you listen to traffic, it’s always different.”


No comments:

Post a Comment