Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Towers of Fagel


I've finally trashed a few weeks ago some 250 empty yogurt tubs that I, a notorious packrat, accumulated over a thousand days. But before trashing I made them into four Towers of Fagel and photographed them. 

The creamy Greek yogurt that I like and consume a quarter of one tub every morning with fruits -- berries, peaches/nectarines, apples, etc., depending on the season -- is called “Fage”, and the label cautions that it is pronounced “fa-yeh”, hence the Towers of Fagel (pronounced “Fah-yehl”). I have the fruit-and-yogurt faithfully as the first course of my breakfast, most often followed by bacon, a fried egg, toast, and black coffee.

A dear friend of mine with astute eyes for details pointed out that Rembrandt’s Eyes (Simon Schama’s fat volume) is peeping between the towers with the Classical Art (an Oxford History) and the Sistine Chapel accompanying them. I’ve also noticed then that the magenta four-volume set is Vasari’s Lives of the Painters, Sculptors, and Archiects, and beyond the Art Deco bronze dancer appears the “Square of Saint Peter’s,” a Philippe Benoît lithograph. Though it is blurry, the volume by the tallest tower, above Rembrandt, is Time Capsule 1933, which marks my birth year. So, most fortuitously, the photograph fairly made a self-portrait of this art historian.

No comments:

Post a Comment